Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Collapse Details
    Swelling legs / indents when pushing 
    After quite a lot of running lately both my legs have swollen up slightly around my ankles and lower legs. If I press my finger on my shin-bones they indent and the pressed area does not flatten out until after a few seconds. This indicates quite a lot of fluid in the legs, but I have no pain at all!

    My training has consisted of a lot of steep hill running and intervals lately.

    Anything to worry about, or just keep going ?
    Last edited by StefanP; 07-08-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    After quite a lot of running lately both my legs have swollen up slightly around my ankles and lower legs. If I press my finger on my shin-bones they indent and the pressed area does not flatten out until after a few seconds. This indicates quite a lot of fluid in the legs, but I have no pain at all!

    My training has consisted of a lot of steep hill running and intervals lately.

    Anything to worry about, or just keep going ?
    It's usually an indicator or something going wrong in your hydration/electrolyte strategy. Could be too much or too little either way. Try changing how much you drink/how much electroyltes you take one way or the other (+ or -) and see what improves it.

    You can also try draining them down for a while in the evening at the moment to calm it down. Lie on the ground and raise them up against a chair, or the wall for 20-30 mins.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    After quite a lot of running lately both my legs have swollen up slightly around my ankles and lower legs. If I press my finger on my shin-bones they indent and the pressed area does not flatten out until after a few seconds. This indicates quite a lot of fluid in the legs, but I have no pain at all!

    My training has consisted of a lot of steep hill running and intervals lately.

    Anything to worry about, or just keep going ?
    Stefan,

    I'm no doctor but i'd say you need to rest and get this checked out, more often than not when this happens its due to lymphatic obstruction, however it could be other things. To be on the safe side you should get it checked out by your doctor. There are a few Doctors on here so they may be of use if there on....

    Hope it turns out to be nothing.
    Andy :reddevil::dug:

    Dont put anyone on a pedestal higher than the one you stand on yourself...

    Why Be a sheep, when you could be a Shepherd.



    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    What you are describing is known medically as "pitting oedema" - oedema is swelling through fluid and pitting mean it indents as you describe

    It is not lymphatics as lymphoedema does not pit and is chronic though lymphatics may be playing a small role. This type of oedema occurs in many people from those with heart failure (not you!) to pregnant women and people with varicose veins. Some drugs will cause it (usually blood pressure medications) It can also occur if your blood protein levels are very low, also very unlikely for you

    My first experience of exercise induced oedema was after my first Ultra, I managed 5 days with no swelling, as soon as day 5 was over I had swelling for the next 4 days. I don't really understand the mechanism but its likely due to trauma to the soft tissues of the lower limbs combined with gravity (dependent oedema)

    All you can really do is wear compression leggings/socks and raise them as much as poss (as above - lie down with feet up a wall ) or at least have them flat and lie down but sitting with feet down is bad

    I cant really see how hydration will cause it unless you massively over hydrate, but even then your kidneys should just pee it all out rather than storing it in your legs

    It may be worth seeing your GP to exclude a few things but I doubt there is anything underlying your problem, it would just be a suprise to hear it happening unless you wear doing at least 3-4 hours every day

    Hope that helps
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    guernsey
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    What you are describing is known medically as "pitting oedema" - oedema is swelling through fluid and pitting mean it indents as you describe

    It is not lymphatics as lymphoedema does not pit and is chronic though lymphatics may be playing a small role. This type of oedema occurs in many people from those with heart failure (not you!) to pregnant women and people with varicose veins. Some drugs will cause it (usually blood pressure medications) It can also occur if your blood protein levels are very low, also very unlikely for you

    My first experience of exercise induced oedema was after my first Ultra, I managed 5 days with no swelling, as soon as day 5 was over I had swelling for the next 4 days. I don't really understand the mechanism but its likely due to trauma to the soft tissues of the lower limbs combined with gravity (dependent oedema)

    All you can really do is wear compression leggings/socks and raise them as much as poss (as above - lie down with feet up a wall ) or at least have them flat and lie down but sitting with feet down is bad

    I cant really see how hydration will cause it unless you massively over hydrate, but even then your kidneys should just pee it all out rather than storing it in your legs

    It may be worth seeing your GP to exclude a few things but I doubt there is anything underlying your problem, it would just be a suprise to hear it happening unless you wear doing at least 3-4 hours every day

    Hope that helps
    i had this on the MDS, despite being well hydrated and having plenty of electrolytes. there are lots of theories but little evidence to back them up. as Steven says there are a few medical conditions that can cause it so it may be worthwhile seeing your GP. On the MDS i adopted the praqctical approach and slept with my legs propped up on my ruck sack.

    Steve
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    It has almost disappeared after one days rest with keeping the legs elevated. Had a long run today and still looks fine.

    Will however check with the doc tomorrow to be on the safe side.

    Thanks for all the useful information guys.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Unlikely to have anything directly to do with your lymphatic system, give the transient nature of the event. As pointed out, "heart failure" isn't a reasonable explaination either. I very much doubt that this has anything directly to do with electrolytes either, despite how much we focus on that aspect here

    Let me geuss - it's been hot, and you've been increase your running/walking distance? Just take Rich's advice, and put the legs up a bit.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Swollen legs & eyes!! 
    #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    41
    I completed the Jurassic Coastal Challenge on Sunday evening (3 marathons on the coastal path in 3 days). This is the longest I have ever spent on my feet, but am a little concerned that 2 days on I still have swollen legs (from the mid calf down). Doesnt look like I have any ankles & I also have the pitting when pressing into the skin. Yesterday & this morning my face was slightly puffy, especially around the eyes, although this has now settled!
    Apart from feeling exhaused & legs being v.stiff & tired I feel fine.
    Does anyone think I really need to see GP, or just put this down to doing a bit too much for me?
    Thanks
    :sheep:

    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

    http://nickychrascina.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Beverley, East Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Knickerscat View Post
    I completed the Jurassic Coastal Challenge on Sunday evening (3 marathons on the coastal path in 3 days). This is the longest I have ever spent on my feet, but am a little concerned that 2 days on I still have swollen legs (from the mid calf down). Doesnt look like I have any ankles & I also have the pitting when pressing into the skin. Yesterday & this morning my face was slightly puffy, especially around the eyes, although this has now settled!
    Apart from feeling exhaused & legs being v.stiff & tired I feel fine.
    Does anyone think I really need to see GP, or just put this down to doing a bit too much for me?
    Thanks
    sounds just like the oedema described above, get your legs elevated for a bit, enjoy a cup of tea and a lie down (bask in the glory of a job well done!), get some light exercise (a bit of a walk wouldn't go a miss) in as well, should help move the fluid.

    Well done!
    Cheers,
    Mike

    Not built for speed, style or comfort
    :banana:

    [ http://www.ultramarathonmike.co.uk/blog ]

    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •