Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    But esbit fuel in morocco? 
    Hello,
    Because I am disorganised I have missed the deadline for pre-ordering esbit tabs from the mds website to pick up on arrival. Does anyone know if I can buy fuel tabs at the start of the race even if I haven't preordered them? Or is it worth (somehow) trying to get the fuel tablets over on the plane/sending ahead via post?
    If anyone knows would be appreciated!

2. Collapse Details

you might be able to scronge some tabs, if you know 15 people and 1 is donated from each person

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    you might be able to scronge some tabs, if you know 15 people and 1 is donated from each person
    Hi, I did the event last year and like most people pre-ordered 3 boxes of tabs. Everyone had spare, some people dumped a whole box. You'll have no problem in picking some up but it's a worry you could do without. Some people didn't use them, just gathered bits of scrub and sticks or shared stoves.

On admin day - just go to the tent and ask for some and act dumb, take a ten euro note and they will have loads spare- they are there to help and not make it difficult for you.

have a good one!
    :bench:

4. Collapse Details

any tips for the event ironingboardman?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    any tips for the event ironingboardman?
    oh boy....I've got dozens of tips I guess but they won't be for everyone, as quickly as I can I'd say:

Don't be obsessed about weight unless you want a top 100 place.
    work out the food you think you'll need for 1 week and 155 miles in the desert and accept whatever it weighs.
    Feet, feet feet - this issue is the one thing that will slow you down, stop you enjoying it and possibly stop you finishing. Use Doc Trotters - they are great and deal with any issues straight away.
    I did the long stage in one steady effort, marching most of it and stopped to cook a meal at around 6pm which kept me going, I came 349th on the stage and hardly ran!!
    Days 1 and 2 are just a warm up - the big time will be made or lost on stages 4 and 5 - just get to them in as good a shape as you can.
    Take 2 salt tablets for every bottle of water while running and one for every bottle in camp.
    Don't take/try anything you're not used to.
    for stage 6, you'll just need a breakfast meal and maybe one piece of trail food.
    take loads of extra food in your case that you can eat up until the saturday night in camp
    Enjoy every second - better to come 364th and love it than come 311th and hate it.
    Don't take a camera with any moving parts.
    Take re-go powder for straight after each stage finish.
    I'm 92kgs, I took around 3000 cals a day and it was just right. A guy in my tent was a top runner and 70kgs - he took 2000cals a day including powders and was licking out my sachets!!! yuk
    Super noodles are great, 69p - 480 cals and very light.
    TAKE AN INFLATABLE MATRESS - it's impossible to get comfortable otherwise.
    It was colder than I thought at night, I had a merino base layer and it wasn't quite enough, it gets very windy so take a thin jacket / shell - the wind goes straight thru micro-fleeces.
    Remember that it's totally do-able (and totally epic), it's all about pace management and self management, listen to the body and act accordingly - you'll absolutely love it!
    ps - also make sure your friends and family know how to email you when you're out there - the daily emails are a great boost.

6. Collapse Details

thanks for the info

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ironingboardman View Post
    Enjoy every second - better to come 364th and love it than come 311th and hate it.
    It's all good advice but this one line speaks volumes for me....

8. Collapse Details

couldn't agree more

9. Collapse Details

You're sorted then - go on holiday to Morocco, do a bit of running and have a great time!! Even the view from your accomodation changes every day....but it's not all inclusive :(

The Berber Palace hotel is fantastic and enjoy the food which is excellent and safe to eat, it's 5 star!! Don't drink the water tho, not because it's "bad", - just different to what we're used to.

The trip to the desert in long, maybe 5 or 6 hours and so a book or some music is a good idea, the packed lunch is good but take whatever treats you fancy with you from the UK, you'll have access to these right until the morning of the start, just keep them in your tent.

Try to sort who is in your tent as early as possible - you'll be up close and person (while tired) for 168 hours - you need to get on!! My tent mates were brilliant and made the event so much more.

The meals in camp are adequate and if you're a cheeky git - you can go through twice.

From the Sunday morning - it's over to you......
    if you're worried about water, drink 150ml every 10 mins if you're a racer, every 15mins if you're mid field and every 20 minutes or so if you're a walker - that'll see you right.

I came in a much better position that I expected to (364th). The race however went as I'd planned, it was just that the race is mainly made up of "ordinary" people challenging themselves rather than 800 elite athletes. I'm 92kgs and not a natural runner, jogged steadily when I could and marched the rest - certainly able to enjoy it all.

I don't know if this is useful but all I'm trying to say here is that slow and steady wins the race, 10% to fast out there and you'll pay the price, follow your head not your heart!

Have a great "event", don't see it as a race unless you're going for position, it will be brilliant and I'm so jealous but me and my ironing board will return to it one day...........

10. Collapse Details

Well, as sorted as can be, with the usual panic and stress thrown in for good measure. I don't know how many times i have rejigged my food list and i was concerned about the hotel food, as fear of dehli belly and the gallops is playing on my mind. I'll remember bottled water only so. I have a jog a little, march alot plan myself but will have to take extra salt tabs as an ex front row, i do sweat a little more than the average so will have to keep the salt balance right. Thanks for the previous runner experience and i off back to check what food i am bringing.
    Ronan