We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. By continuing we’ll assume you’re on board with our cookie policy

Hey there, Don't forget to log in and join the conversation Log in

RUNULTRA FORUMS

Training Forum
RunUltra forums > Training Forum > Training for Multiple Ultras View modes: 
RideRunner - 18/07/2018 15:48:12

Training for Multiple Ultras
I see some people do all 3 of the "Race to the" series. they are 2 weeks apart generally and 80-100km each. (or indeed running multiple other long races, all in quick succession)

How do you train for something like this where there is really only recovery time between races? Is training for the first enough, then it becomes all about recovery and cross training?

How do you do it?

Advanced member
Advanced member
SarahCrunning - 21/07/2018 00:43:06

RE:Training for Multiple Ultras
I don't know that there are any hard and fast rules on this. Most training plans emphasise the importance of recovery, and probably don't address back to back ultras. I haven't done any of the 'Race to the' series, but I have run ultras in close succession, and I did the Centurion 50 mile Grand slam last year. The most important thing to remember is that everyone is different, and there are relatively few people out there running multiple ultras. I would say that, if you are someone who is prone to injury or tends to suffer if going over a certain mileage, then this kind of challenge might not be for you just now. For people with a good recovery, then it is possible, but I think you need quite a bit of experience under your belt first. Recovery time tends to be related to level of fitness (assuming no injuries etc.) and the extent to which your body is used to running when fatigued.

What is your previous ultra experience? If this is something you want to aim for, then getting your body used to running on tired legs is a good idea (but don't overdo it). Back to back long runs are ideal for this, as are long slow runs with a faster finish. When I have a string of races, each one tends to serve as the last long run before the next race - if you have less than a month before the next race, then sticking to recovery type runs in between may be of more benefit than cramming in the miles.

I think that your recovery needs are something you gradually attune to the more you run these distances. My advice would be to listen to your body and not to be in a rush to do something like this. It's a great challenge at the right time, but only if you're going to enjoy the process.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sarah
Sarah Cooke

16 user(s) on-line: 0 registered and 16 guests