We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. By continuing we’ll assume you’re on board with our cookie policy

Hey there, Don't forget to log in and join the conversation Log in

RUNULTRA FORUMS

Running Kit
RunUltra forums > Running Kit > Recommendations for first UT vest View modes: 
Valued member
Valued member
bennyhana22 - 13/01/2019 21:25:20

Recommendations for first UT vest
Hi all

So, I did it - have signed up for the 2019 Race To The Tower. I'm equally excited and apprehensive, but I've also started to think about kit.

I'm certain that for 52 miles I will want a vest and it will be the first time wearing one. So, I'd quite like to get it soonish, so I can get used to it.

After a bit of research I've been looking at the Ultimate Direction Jurek FKT Vest.

My main question is, is it 'too much'? Does it have too much storage and features for a summer (albeit British summer...) 50 mile run?

Your thoughts would be super welcome!

Thanks

Ben

Advanced member
Advanced member
SarahCrunning - 14/01/2019 00:00:15

RE:Recommendations for first UT vest
Hi Ben,

I think it depends how much you want to carry and what is comfortable for you. I have the Ultimate Direction AK Mountain Vest and that has been fine for 50 and 100 milers. I think the FKT has a similar capacity. You might get away with smaller if you don't want to carry much of your own food and if the kit list is small. Personally, I'm happy with 11.5 litres for any race I'm likely to do. Where do you live? If you are near a store that stocks vests then you could try a few on and see how they feel. If you don't use all the pockets then I don't see it being 'too much' as a huge problem - the material doesn't weight a lot and it's better than not having enough space.

You might also find this review of 8 vests useful: https://www.runultra.co.uk/Reviews/Running-gear/Running-packs-vests/The-battle-of-the-packs-8-Hydration-packs-and-vest

Good luck!
Sarah Cooke

Valued member
Valued member
bennyhana22 - 14/01/2019 17:10:42

Thanks so much for your helpful reply, Sarah.

Since posting, I've done a bit more research and actually very much like the look of the new UD Race Vest 4.0. It looks very light, but with 'proper' side panels, rather than simply the straps that many of the very minimal vests seem to have. I think it will be less likely to rub, but I think the fairly small capacity will still be enough for my needs. The RTTT has eight rest stations, so I'm not planning to carry anything more than what I'd need in-between stations, plus my essential kit. The race has no mandatory kit list, so again I should be OK to pare it down to as little as possible.

I'll keep looking before pulling the trigger, but at the moment that's my front runner (yes, pun intended, obviously...!).

Ben
:o)

Advanced member
Advanced member
SarahCrunning - 15/01/2019 22:37:51

Yes, it's a race that's well catered for. It could also be worth factoring in races you think you might enter in the near future so that you don't have to look for a new pack too soon.
Sarah Cooke

Valued member
Valued member
bennyhana22 - 16/01/2019 14:22:47

I finally pulled the trigger on the UD Race Vest 3.0.

It's not quite as 'micro' as the 4.0 and will, I think, 'ride' better for me. It is still pretty minimal, but easily enough capacity and a layout suitable for the type of runs I can see myself doing at the moment.

I'm taking it out for its baptism on Saturday, just to get a feel for running with it on. I wouldn't usually 'need' to take water on a winter 11-12 miler, but I kind of feel I should at least take one of the soft flasks, again just to start to get my eye in!

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Ben
:o)

Advanced member
Advanced member
SarahCrunning - 16/01/2019 18:06:55

Mine is version 3 and I love it. I'd definitely take water even in winter - you lose moisture through your breath in the cold and still sweat. Hope you get on well with it.
Sarah Cooke

29 user(s) on-line: 0 registered and 29 guests